my history along with some Q and A
    Thanks

Alright, since this is a passion for me, I'm gonna open this up for some Q&A along with a little history so I hope you guys know where I'm coming from.

I've always been the fat kid my entire life. The worst it ever got was high school where I basically ended up balooning to 270+ pounds. Obviously, that's pretty unhealthy, but I didn't really care. This combined with low self esteem was just a recipe for disaster. Senior year, i started to work out a little, and came down to 245 pounds. At this point, I picked up a Navy ROTC scholarship at USC. Freshman year of college, I failed my physical fitness test, and it dawned on me that if I were to fail 1 more time, I would lose my scholarship. Basically, a free ride down the drain. Here, I decided to take things seriously and worked out properly, ate right, and dropped the weight down to 175 pounds. From there on out, I was bit by the iron bug, and became a recreational bodybuilder/powerlifter. I became more social, made more friends in and out of the gym. I have to tell you though, I still sucked even after losing the weight at getting girls because I still hadn't made the mental change. To me, I was still the fat kid, but at the same time now, I was also the skinny kid, because I had always been the big guy. I then decided to get bigger, and have finally moved to a comfortable phase where I am comfortable with my situation.

That's the biggest key!

Now I'm sitting comfortably at a very lean 215 pounds and happy as ever. My ex broke up with me while I was deployed with my ship, but now that I've discovered Mystery's Method, I've learned to let it go, and am happily practicing, being single, and having peace of mind.

Tips:

Progression: you should always be striving for progression. Always try to beat your last workout in reps or weight. Getting stronger is key for getting bigger. Ever wonder why powerlifters and strongmen are so big? just don't eat all the junk they do, and keep your food choices good.

Overtraining: There's no such thing as overtraining unless you're a high caliber athlete. You're just undereating. Doubt it? just google G-Flux by Dr John Berardi. His methods of nutrition are basically what I use.

Effort: You should always be busting your balls when you go to the gym. Ever wonder why the guy that does a shitty program looks better than you? Pure effort. In the words of Chris Shugart from T-Nation, A shitty program done with extreme effort and dedication will always and infinitely be better than a super program program performed lackasdaisically. Find what works for you, and go all out.

EAT!!!!!

Programs I like and use:
    DoggCrapp (in a mass building phase) usually I do this program for 2 blasts a year max... It's mentally taxing to try this program more than that for me.

Stuff for fun: Strongman, Crossfit, Powerlifting, pretty much anything...
    I've always tended to favor lifting heavy things as opposed to lifting high volume, although that has worked for me as well, though not as well.

I've attached some pics of me to show my progression,
    the last is where I'm at now.

Like I said, please don't hesitate to ask for anything. If you disagree with anything I've said, let's have an intelligent debate about it, and learn from it. Other than that, I'm here for you guys. I'm working on getting my CSCS cert from NSCA.

Thanks

while i would have to agree on the strongman and powerlifter part, i would have to disagree with the part about overtraining. true overtraining is almost impossible to acheive. what most people tend to perceive as overtraining, is really nothing more than nervous system fatigue. if that is the case, eating proper nutrients to expedite the process such as mineral rich foods, as well as low intensity recovery excercises such to keep the blood flow up would be the best thing.

definitely agree that grimacing, screaming, and valsalva are inappropriate, but however, you definitely cannot argue the fact that getting stronger gives you bigger muscles. direct correlation. my typical workout looks like the following video... which is the method of choice for me.

http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

All the way with you on the volume intensity thing. my workouts usually just consist of 1 or 2 working sets to positive failure per muscle group, and i usually toss in tons of recovery work, stretching, massage and yoga to aid in recovery.

do read john berardi's work though! i highly recommend it!. whatever program you use, you will substantially increase your results by following his nutritional guidelines and theories! hell, his recipes are not only congruent to what we do, but are damn tasty! try his bodybuilder friendly peach cobbler recipe!

Thanks

on a quick side note, i had a great privilege of attending my little sister's wedding. talk about a great weekend to get some practice in! wasn't looking for a quick hook up or anything, but was great to open a lot of sets, and enhance my social calibration a lot more. even got a few numbers in the process!

cristiano Guest

hi

Hello friends.I'm cristiano from spain.Nice to meet you all.Success in exercise does not constitute that what you were doing is safe, effective, efficient, and backed by science instead of myth/lore. Fat or not as a kid, after looking at the pics posted it looks to me like you would have had success regardless of the training protocol you employed.Thank you.