X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Little A2 Wing Intro

Ideally you want to be doing accomplishment intros for your wings, but sometimes logistics work out where your wing comes in pretty early, or the vibe isn't quite right for that yet - that is, you can't do a hardcore accomplishment intro, but want something to spike the energy of the group and DHV.

Enter: sheriff's Bridget Jones routine

Apparently in Bridget Jones someone says you have to say two interesting facts about people you introduce... So as the wing comes in to the set, I'll introduce him to the girls, making up stupid names and facts about them, and but then use plausible semi-accomplishment one for him:

"Hey dude, this is Tracey, and this is Shawinda. Tracey likes playing with calculators and going on romantic horseback rides by herself, and Shawinda's into tantric energy healing... guys, this is Jon, don't ask him about the time he fucked Derren Brown's girlfriend, because he still gets embarrassed about it..."

I'd then point out which the 'mean' one is (indicating to your wing that that's the target) - and I normally try and do a fast split of the set at this point. If you've used something interesting for your wing's 'interesting' fact, he's going to have some level of interest from the girls about that, and you can keep role-playing with your weird cold read from above, giving you enough time and momentum to split the set earlier than you might otherwise.

-sheriff
    Last edited by Sheriff; 01-11-2007, 01:05 AM.

lol this is awesome. Like expanding on the whole "these girls are trouble" intro when you bring in a wing. Definitely going to try this out.

Question:

When a wing comes in, you face him, greet him, and then introduce him to the group. A lot of guys look at the wing and say:

"dude you have to meet these girls..." and then turn to the set and AI him.
    Especially, i've noticed, after a wing comes in with the toecutter "have you seen michelle" gambit.

But recently i've been trying to reverse that frame to:
    (turn to the SET and say

"Guys, you HAVE to meet my friend mike. He's the founder of (blah blah blah-- AI)."

It's a subtle difference and i'm not sure if it *really* makes any difference at all. Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by djfuji View Post
      lol this is awesome. Like expanding on the whole "these girls are trouble" intro when you bring in a wing. Definitely going to try this out.

Question:

When a wing comes in, you face him, greet him, and then introduce him to the group. A lot of guys look at the wing and say:

"dude you have to meet these girls..." and then turn to the set and AI him.
      Especially, i've noticed, after a wing comes in with the toecutter "have you seen michelle" gambit.

But recently i've been trying to reverse that frame to:
      (turn to the SET and say

"Guys, you HAVE to meet my friend mike. He's the founder of (blah blah blah-- AI)."

It's a subtle difference and i'm not sure if it *really* makes any difference at all. Comments?
      Well I'm doing that way too. And I actually think it's a big difference. The first intro implicates that the set is much more fun than your wing is-HE has to meet THEM. While the second one implicates that he's the main event.

Comment

Thank you captain obvious.

What i meant was, sometimes we micromanage every little aspect of PU and worry about little things that don't really have any significance in the real world. It's a constant balance between being powerful alpha male types and being NORMAL.

Comment

Originally posted by djfuji View Post
          Thank you captain obvious.

What i meant was, sometimes we micromanage every little aspect of PU and worry about little things that don't really have any significance in the real world. It's a constant balance between being powerful alpha male types and being NORMAL.
          You're welcome. Was a piece of hard work-this post

And what I meant was, I believe that it's a HUGE difference. I ruined some sets for my wing before understanding that. Microcalibration is what improves your game...

Comment

Originally posted by Limelight View Post
            Well I'm doing that way too. And I actually think it's a big difference. The first intro implicates that the set is much more fun than your wing is-HE has to meet THEM. While the second one implicates that he's the main event.
            I thought it was the opposite - when your wing enters the set you qualify the girls to your wing by saying "you have to meet these girls, they're cool" etc. Instead of qualifying your wing to the girls (like it matters what they think of your wing).

It should be implicit that your wing is obviously cool and fun, so obvious that it doesn't have to be said, ie. you shouldn't have to say it when your wing comes in.

Or maybe we're just over-analyzing this, and both ways work just as well.

Comment

Ok good point. I am officially confused now. Hopefully Sheriff and the VA guys chime in with their opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastery View Post
                I thought it was the opposite - when your wing enters the set you qualify the girls to your wing by saying "you have to meet these girls, they're cool" etc. Instead of qualifying your wing to the girls (like it matters what they think of your wing).

It should be implicit that your wing is obviously cool and fun, so obvious that it doesn't have to be said, ie. you shouldn't have to say it when your wing comes in.

Or maybe we're just over-analyzing this, and both ways work just as well.
                You're not qualifying your wing it's just a small accomplishment intro. Or do you think accomplishment intro is qualifying too? I'd rather say it's DHV if you do it that way

Comment

Originally posted by Limelight View Post
                  You're not qualifying your wing it's just a small accomplishment intro. Or do you think accomplishment intro is qualifying too? I'd rather say it's DHV if you do it that way
                  If I accomplishment intro my wing I usually do it before or after (but not during) the intro (the intro is when my wing comes in and they're exchanging names), and preferably when my wing is out of earshot. I don't really have an explanation for this, it just seems this way I wouldn't be qualifying him to the girls. I could be wrong.

The way Sheriff does it (just throwing out a small tidbit) sounds like the best of both worlds though. Not saying too much (so it's not perceived as qualifying) yet it evokes curiosity. If they ask questions then you can give the full accomplishment intro.

About whether "the girls should meet my wing" or "my wing should meet these girls", I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other, it'd be interesting to field-test this but I don't think it's causing any problems for any of us right now, so it'll be quite some time before I get around to field-testing this.
                  Last edited by Mastery; 01-12-2007, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X