X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret

Thinking positively all the time generates a positive reality, etc. etc. Does anyone use 'The Secret' to improve their inner game? Or do most of you think it's just New Age thinking?

I mean, it's great to feel good and confident all the time. Just look at pre-selected, alpha males. Because they are already surrounded by women in both their thoughts and reality, they continue to attract more women.

Thoughts/opinions?

As far as your outlook is concerned of course it works to help improve your life.

The opposing idea is viewing everything negatively, and thinking negative thoughts. Though, the idea of positively also has some tricky framing. For instance.

Say you buy a lottery ticket. Then you take your "positive idea" mentality and say "I'm going to win! Because I think positively!" All the while you don't win, and you continue not to win. What do you think that does over time? It will create a person who sees even bad things positively, it will act as more of a mask over reality. It will have you doubting this whole "positive ideas make things happen" mentality.

Now say you buy a lottery ticket and say, "Sweet I could win some big cash!" But when you lose, you say "Oh well" and DISCARD negativity, and move on.

Some people just choose to take positive thoughts and apply them incorrectly. The key is discarding negativity. Once it is gone, positivity and contentedness are free to rise. Once you brain is clear of negativity there is a void you open to be filled. Fill it with that moment your alive, awake, and present. Joy flows.

The idea is to not become attached to negativity, and act it out as the idea of "you." Once you begin to get caught up in a world where negativity is always apparent, you block off joy and positivity.

People loath over even the smallest of things and carry it around all day. Its unnecessary, life is too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Czech View Post
      Thinking positively all the time generates a positive reality, etc. etc. Does anyone use 'The Secret' to improve their inner game? Or do most of you think it's just New Age thinking?

I mean, it's great to feel good and confident all the time. Just look at pre-selected, alpha males. Because they are already surrounded by women in both their thoughts and reality, they continue to attract more women.

Thoughts/opinions?
      I definitely subscribe to the ideas within "The Secret" and similar philosophies - I firmly believe that our inner worlds create and give rise to our outer worlds. Once I applied positive thinking on a regular basis with long-term dedication, it really made a big difference for me.

I believe that in inner silence we have access to our true Being with all its potential, and once we can tap into that effectively, we can then use positive thought, visualization and intent to create our reality.

Originally posted by BigJohnson View Post
      The opposing idea is viewing everything negatively, and thinking negative thoughts. Though, the idea of positively also has some tricky framing. For instance.

Say you buy a lottery ticket. Then you take your "positive idea" mentality and say "I'm going to win! Because I think positively!" All the while you don't win, and you continue not to win. What do you think that does over time? It will create a person who sees even bad things positively, it will act as more of a mask over reality. It will have you doubting this whole "positive ideas make things happen" mentality.

Now say you buy a lottery ticket and say, "Sweet I could win some big cash!" But when you lose, you say "Oh well" and DISCARD negativity, and move on.

Some people just choose to take positive thoughts and apply them incorrectly.
      This is indeed an incorrect application. We do need to remember that the universe has infinite possibilities available to us, but we also need to be open-minded as to how our goals can be achieved. In the above case, that person would find it much more effective to focus on growing his wealth and welcoming prosperity into his life, and acting on the opportunities he receives, rather than hoping to win a game with a 1-in-500 million chance or whatever based on numbers picked by a machine. He is not opening the door properly to all the possibilities the universe has to offer him, many of which may be much BETTER for him in the long run than the lottery. We need to be open to achieving the best results for all involved, rather than obsessing over one particular outcome which may in fact just be our egos being closed-minded and stubborn.

Originally posted by BigJohnson View Post
      The key is discarding negativity. Once it is gone, positivity and contentedness are free to rise. Once you brain is clear of negativity there is a void you open to be filled. Fill it with that moment your alive, awake, and present. Joy flows.

The idea is to not become attached to negativity, and act it out as the idea of "you." Once you begin to get caught up in a world where negativity is always apparent, you block off joy and positivity.

People loath over even the smallest of things and carry it around all day. Its unnecessary, life is too short.
      Not only to discard negativity, but also to actively utilize the creative abilities of our mind, backed by strong and clear intent. Once we have released this intent out into the universe, we indeed should then be fully in the moment, present, allowing joy to flow while we trust the process to manifest for us.

I know this sounds like "New Age thinking" but I've found it, along with many other spiritually-based technologies and methods, to be far from bullshit, but rather life-changing in very positive ways.

So Czech, I'll give you a challenge: Dedicate one month, fully, to applying "The Secret" with dedication on a DAILY basis. Be open to all the amazing and wonderful possibilities. Don't allow yourself to give up or get discouraged, or to lapse in your efforts. If you do find that happening, pick it up again as immediately as possible. And then observe, after that month has passed, what has changed within your reality. If you are pleased with the results, you should continue with renewed encouragement. If you are not pleased with the results, then at least you answered your own question for yourself with no harm done. Many do find, however, that positive changes start happening long before that one month has passed.

Comment

Yes Wolf. You are very articulate.

I'm not familiar with the concept of "The Secret." I'm going to assume its similar to both ancient and modern concepts on perspective and spirituality, with yet another name, and another "creator" of the idea.

In my experience, if you leave no room for negativity it has no where to exist.

Originally posted by azazels_wolf View Post
        Not only to discard negativity, but also to actively utilize the creative abilities of our mind, backed by strong and clear intent. Once we have released this intent out into the universe, we indeed should then be fully in the moment, present, allowing joy to flow while we trust the process to manifest for us.
        It sounds like something only experience can really grasp. Its difficult to take the words and put yourself in a position to truly realize what it means. Especially if the mind is so very clouded and confused.

To observe and make conscious light of the process makes it much easier to replicate.

Just as with meditation, and focusing on being present. At first it is difficult and brief, its rather challenging to quiet the mind. As you observe yourself enter presence, and slip out of presence, it becomes easier and easier to catch yourself and hold presence. Eventually presence is sustained without effort. It becomes a constant stream of being.
        Last edited by BigJohnson; 08-02-2009, 01:01 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Im not sure what the secret is,can you elaborate a bit?
          I just wrote an article about what I find useful forr bumping up inner game
          you can read it on my website linked in my sig

Comment

The Secret is a book and film based on the "Law of Attraction" .... the idea has certainly been around for a long time, but it's also said to be backed by quantum physics.

Here's an overview of the use of the Law:
            According to proponents of this law, thoughts have an energy which attracts whatever it is the person is thinking of. In order to control this energy to one's advantage, proponents state that people must practice four things:[LIST=1][*]Know exactly what you want.[*]Ask the universe for it.[*]Feel, behave and know as if the object of your desire is already yours (visualize).[*]Be open to receive it and let go of (the attachment to) the outcome.[/LIST]Thinking of what one does not have, they say, manifests itself in not having, while if one abides by these principles, and avoids "negative" thoughts, the universe will manifest a person's desires.
            And this can apply to anything, any area of your life. Notice the similarities to some well-known inner game techniques within the community?

Comment

I seen the movie, and it is very inspiring, but the theory is flawed in many many ways. This theory is using some sound science and psychology, like visualization and positive thinking, to make ridiculous claims. (like all scams and BS) My ex was into it so I dug further into the origins of the secret.

Come to find out, its some lady who allows a “spirit” or some “being” to enter her body… and give seminars!!! Naturally these seminars are not free… go figure. I forget the name of the being but I seen her enter the trance… and its really fucking lame. Oh ya… its Abraham.

All she is, is a skillful public speaker who is selling something. She is very skillful because as I watched the movie I remember feeling like she had an emotional impact on me when she spoke. And I didn’t even know she was the creator of this product/theory when I saw the movie.

The quantum physics part is a new science that is interesting. You should look up What The Bleep Do We Know??? It even has some of the same scientific speakers that were in the secret. It has some interesting tests that involve intent and physical changes in reality. Im going to try and find the actual published studies so I can see for myself. But it is very interesting. Although there is a speaker in there who is all… creepy and philosophical just for the sake of it. But the double slit test and the water crystals seem very interesting.

I study psychology as my major. I believe there is a very real affect on your life based on whether you think positive or negative. But the secret says thinking positive will bring things to you, things will even manifest on their own, just because you thought it. All sickness is just negative thoughts and disease is just being in a state of “Dis-ease” as the one motivational speaker from the secret puts it. You can think as positive as you want to, but if you have unprotected sex with someone who has aids… all the thoughts in the world wont save you.

Real positive and negative thinking effects peoples lives because of the choices they make, and the subtle subconscious behaviors they take on. People who are miserable and always complain about not having any friends who care about them, and talk about all the bad things that happen to them, and how nobody cares about them… are really fucking annoying. And because they behave that way… they drive off anyone who tries to be their friend. And nobody ends up caring because they are too depressing to hang around. Self fulfilling prophecy’s are real, but they are based on your actions, choices, and subtle behaviors. Not on the universe handing you everything you ever imagined.

They also use a twist on a psychological perspective that the mind can not think in negative terms. Like being told not to think of an elephant. You have to think of the elephant first.

They are saying the UNIVERSE is the same way and does not distinguish the difference between the things you want and the things you don’t want. If you say you don’t want debt, you will be in debt. If you want a basket ball, one will fall out of the sky.

But later they say if you think this stuff doesn’t work… then it wont work. WHAT??? But if there are no negatives in the universe then the word doesn’t cant exist and the sentence would be “this stuff work.” Which means based on their own mythology that this stuff should be working because the universe doesn’t care if you want it to work or not. But no, having THOSE negative thoughts about their system doesn’t work the same about having negative thoughts about debt in their previous example. For some reason its different (because its BS) The best way to sell BS is to tell people they need to believe in it enough for it to work, and if it doesn’t work, then they aren’t believing enough and doubt it too much. Of course they doubt it, because somewhere in their minds they know its BS… they just ignore that logic in hopes for miracles.

They contradict themselves plenty of times for anyone paying attention to really notice. Buying into it is not paying attention. When you buy into shit, you only see what you want to see, and you don’t see the discrepancies.

It is a good video tho. Inspirational and motivating. The music is also very powerful as I recall. Just know that it came from a lady who allows a spirit to enter her body and give seminars that are not free. It is a product. It is mainly BS. Im going to write pen and telling and ask them to do an episode about this.

Comment

I doubt there exists something like a "positive thing" and a "negative thing" out there in the world. We decide what is positive and what is negative ourselves. Therefor there is no way to apply the law of attraction incorrectly. You might get very different results from what others get.. you might even become a homeless person, while another might become a rich man. So it seems like the first person's life is negative. But it is negative acording to the other person's view of positive/negative. In the end, what matters is how well you're doing on your own scale. So we seek money and fame and beautiful girls, but the same bliss we can achieve by having this, someone else might achieve by living alone with the animals on some mountain. There is no ultimate methaphysical value in anything we do or have, except maybe in what one feels is right or positive for himself and himself alone.

Anyway.. quantum mechanics didn't need to be so washed up.. that's the only reason I prefer What the bleep to The secret. It's for the simple minded, which I'm not.

P.S. with "positive thinking"... wait.. let me restate this, with quantum mechanics awareness you DO can be able to influence lottery.
                That's hard because other people are using quantum mechanics to get their own numbers.. there's... conflict ^^

Comment

I got the book from a fellow PUA who said it helped him a lot. I read it and found it to be a rehash of stuff I read 20 years ago.

More particular to the book, though, and is why I stopped reading halrff way through, is the idea that bad things happen because of bad thoughts placing people where bad things are attracted.

A perfect example that flies in the face of this illogic is The World Trade Center on 9/11.

The WTC was a keey locale of some of the nation's, and even world's richest people, and riches is one of the things "The Secret" perports to bring about. So with the author's logic, these were people of great positive thinking. Yet, one of the worst tradgedies of the 21st Centrury took place there.

Bad things do not happen because victims were thinking bad thoughts. Bad things happen because we live in a cursed world and evil is a reality, and that evil is expressed in bad actions, often which cause harm to the innocent.

This kind of thinking is why several well-meaning but mis-guided people can fail to feel compassion for the family of a loved one killed mercilessly yet have all sorts of compassion for the unrepentant murderer.

Thinking positively does help to build confidence and drive to achieve, though. But taken to the extreme of claiming that thinking positively enough will bring about something is hogwash.

However, thinking negatively causes one to stagnate, and even not attempt the achievable because one is already failed in one's own mind.

So, think positive, but be realistic. Otherwise, you will destroy your touch with reality.

A practice we used in Tung Soo Do training was visualization. That is, before our belt tests and tournaments, we sat with eyes closed, going through the entire hyung (kata) or taking our opponent with perfection. Then, we would go after our goal, allowing what we envisioned to become reality as it replayed while we were acheiving it.

We weren't always successful, but it prepped us and made us more successful than before we started doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincerelee View Post
                    A perfect example that flies in the face of this illogic is The World Trade Center on 9/11.

The WTC was a keey locale of some of the nation's, and even world's richest people, and riches is one of the things "The Secret" perports to bring about. So with the author's logic, these were people of great positive thinking. Yet, one of the worst tradgedies of the 21st Centrury took place there.

LOL
                    Ask G. Bush and the Rockefellers if the 9/11 attack was negative either positive.
                    I just guess they were more POSITIVE than the people inside the towers.
                    I mean.. they filled those buildings with C4... and everything went according to plan. Bush made bilions from Lloyds insurance, and the Rockefellers managed to get the US to send more troops in Iraq with money borrowed from them. A total success. Talking about positive people... I can't even believe you americans do nothing about this shit.. makes me sick to just think about it.. I'd be starting a fucking revolution by now if I were there.. I'd start fucking civil war against the establishment..
                    Now all of this bullshit is having consequences not only on your country but also on the rest of the world with this fake BS economical "crisis" and the so called "suine flu" which is another lie.. I'd be killing for this shit.. anyway.. sorry .. I get carried away

Comment

I deleted the hostile reply
                      Last edited by Kelevra; 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Let's not turn this thread into a Fight Club contender. If you want to argue 9/11, start a thread an see who responds.

Comment

I don’t.

Your right lets squash this now.

Sorry RAMM, just got out of a 1 yr relationship to a Russian girl who always talked shit. The most hypocritical nonsense I have ever heard. When I told her to shut the fuck up finally, and research some historical documents that weren’t created in Russia… lets say our relationship didn’t last much more then a couple weeks after that.

So that was a little wash over from that whole exp. I have no desire to talk about politics and I do not think this is the place for it.

This particular thread is about inner game. Ima keep it that way.

Again the secret has some inspirational stuff. But know the source is all im saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelevra View Post
                            Seems like you been watching Zeitgeist or something very similar to it.

And if our situation is causing so much trouble for the world… then why don’t you do something about it? You say you cant stand us for not doing anything about our country. Then take up arms, or whatever you do, and do something to better the WORLD you live in. Go convince your government to go to war against our government. Because that’s what your saying us stupid American’s should be doing.

If you can convince your government to attack the United States. Then I will have seen the awesome power of the individual, and I will make it my life crusade to right all political America wrongs from the inside out.

And if you think our leaders are capable of blowing up a building, killing however many of our own citizens, and getting their own way to start a war. What makes you think we elected him in the first place? What makes you think, that with all that power and manipulation, that our elections are based on what the people want?

Stop thinking with your emotions and use logic. If they can blow up entire buildings in the most populated part of our world. Wtf is stopping them from crushing your so called revolution. It wouldn’t even hit the media. Not to mention most of our large media networks are closely associated with political parties. Remember, they passed acts that allow them to spy on us. In the name of security. Security indeed. Their own security.

I hate people who hate people because of the decisions of some political jackasses.

Im not saying whether I think all these conspiracy theory’s are true or not. That’s my private opinions. But before gunning off at the mouth (or keyboard) us your brains.
                            Please do not take this personally. Of course attacking your country would be idiotic. It's not the country itself. It's not something other countries can do. If I were american, and saw 2000 people killed by my own government, well you americans are what, about 300 milions? I'd be going with a milion people by the white house ....You see, they are not strong. They controll people's minds but they are afraid. Because if people stopped accepting the shit they're fed, they could destroy the whole BS system quite easily.
                            I love america believe me.. I love a lot of things there.. a lot more then Italy. This was not meant to be an insult. I'm having a bad day(week...month..) and am very pissed. Ofcourse I'm being emotional and irational. But that's what gets things done. It's not that you cannot do anything about it. It's that ytou either don't know what's going on and believe what they tell you, OR you are afraid. I dunno.
                            You see, no one passes acts.. no one sets rules, there's no god giving them power... they just "hey let's try feed this into people and see how it works", and more often then not it does work. What if they said being gay is illegal out of the blue. Wouldn't people start a civil war? Instead, any coltrol they want to chieve on people they start little. They start with fear. When will people notice? the fucking rest of the world is noticing. I mean, again it's not your country and probably not even your government, but whoever is.. rebel or something. We're heading straight into world war three, soon it's gonna be too late for what people could have started doing some 8 years ago.

Also, the same shit is starting to happen in europe too, like that flu.. they want to vaccinate everyone in a few months.. I mean if people let them do this to them then they're stupid and do deserve everything that's happening to them. I mean, the tween towers bomb attack in the '90... you could have stopped a second one. Same shit happened in vietnam and world war 2, but they had the excuse of being ignorant, of not having access to THIS knowledge. We have friggin' internet nowadays. We do know what's going on if we are interested to find out.

Nothing personal. And yes.. I did see Zeitgeist, but I've done some other research to see if that stuff was for real. It is all coming to an end you know...
                            Last edited by azazels_wolf; 08-04-2009, 06:06 AM. Reason: inappopriate theoretical violence

Comment

sorry.. I was replying before you deleted it..

It's not hostile towards anyone here, sorry..
                              I can delete it if you want.

Hey..that movie.. Sle7in.. I love it.. He's so totally alpha

Comment

Working...
                              X