PDA

View Full Version : I'm overhauling my wardrobe - Opinions Needed (Pics included)

10Pin
05-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

I've really been working on developing a strong sense of my own identity lately. In fact, its not just about the game, its also for my band that I play in.

A rock star in waiting.

I've decided that that is who I am. After all, that is the path that all my life has led me towards. I need to reflect this in the way I dress.

At present, I dress OK. A mixture of Levi's, Dunlop, Adidas, Duffs and Carhartt. I look fine. But I don't look super cool. I don't peacock.

I want to peacock, though. I want to wear things that make me stand out from the crowd without looking ridiculous. I do not have an imposing frame so I think clothes are a good way to give myself some more flavour.

So, what kind of clothes do you guys think are good for this out there? I'm not talking leather pants and feather boas btw ;) I really dig skater style (Obey, Razk and Scrawl) but I have two major issues with it:

1) A lot of the t-shirts are too baggy for me. I dig the colour but I don't so much like baggy clothes.

2)I'm not sure how you could roll with this style in a club. A lot of the clubs over here in the UK want you to wear shoes on the weekend and I'm not sure about how to pull off those kind of clothes in a formal enough style to look peacocked, cool, identity-congruent and yet smart enough to get into the club.

At the same time, I really love that trashy gangster style of suits and 1950's shirts (e.g. Fenster in The Usual Suspects). My reservations on this are cost and maintenance (suits dont tend to be machine-washable so getting those cigarette smells out could be expensive).

Anyones thoughts, or links to resources, would be totally appreciated. I plan on updating this thread with photos of various cool pieces of clothing I find, starting today, to get some feedback.

This is a pretty important thing for me to get down right now.

-Silver-
05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
1) A lot of the t-shirts are too baggy for me. I dig the colour but I don't so much like baggy clothes.

I think you've answered that one yourself then, get the same clothes you like, but in a smaller size to fit.

2)I'm not sure how you could roll with this style in a club. A lot of the clubs over here in the UK want you to wear shoes on the weekend and I'm not sure about how to pull off those kind of clothes in a formal enough style to look peacocked, cool, identity-congruent and yet smart enough to get into the club.

I have two styles I'll pull off: One is the overly-peacocked style, using a black fluffy top-hat, a pirate hat, whatever I feel like at the time. I'll wear eyeliner, black nails sometimes alternated with another colour like red or blue, and lots of silver jewellery and other accessories. However, if I'm going to get into one of those clubs that has a fairly strict dress code like you mentioned, then I go for my other style, which is really just a toned-down version of the overly-peacocked one. No big hat, less jewellery, and if my nails are coloured, they are all black. Still wear eyeliner, still stand out for my dress sense more than others, but it looks smart and well presentable. That's the key to getting into the better clubs. If I walked up to the doors with a top hat and trench coat, there's no way i'm getting in unless the bouncers are gay and love magic tricks. But if I walk up in clean cut, well fitting clothes, and look smart, they will overlook the eyeliner, nail varnish, and eye catching pendant around my neck. It all goes well together. As far as suits go, I wouldn't wear mine to a party or club unless I knew no-one else would be wearing one. Suits are too common in my opinion, and only stand out of you're the only one with that style.

My advice would be to walk into a clothes store (a decent one mind you, like Burtons, River Island etc) and walk around the store picking up ANY article of clothing that even remotely appeals to you. Try and get a pile that reaches up to your neck when carried in your arms, and take them to the fitting rooms. This is all legal, nothing they can do to stop you from taking every single article of clothing in the entire store if you wanted. Try them all on, mix and match them with each other. If you bring a wing you can get him to rate the styles as well. Basically, do what all the girls do in the chick-flicks! (what? I don't watch chick-flicks...) You don't even have to buy any of it, just window shop. Find out what style works for you and will look good in your band, so that next time you ARE out shopping for clothes, you have a general idea of what to look for. And always make sure the clothes are tight fitting, don't buy a couple of sizes too big. But i'm guessing you already know that based on the first quote I made :P

And dude... adidas? How are tracksuits and sport clothes cool? I certainly agree with the wardrobe overhaul! Have fun man! Now I'm off to finish watching Mean Girls.

-Silver-

10Pin
05-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey silver,

I think you misunderstand my issue with the skate clothes. Simply, they are MEANT to be oversize. So even though I dig the styles and design, they hang baggy.

When I wasn't happy with my body that was OK, but I'm good now and I always find myself having to pull t-shirts etc tighter onto my body. I'm a small size, and most skate clothes don't go to that size.

That was my first dilemma.

I like that 'fuck it' approach to shopping. ;) I'm tired of places like River Island and Burton though, those places are all shopped out. Just walking round town today I saw a lot of people who were very well dressed, yet all looked identikit catalogue boys.

I don't want to peacock in the same sense as yourself (fluffy hat, black nails etc), but nor do I want to be a well-dressed-catalogue boy.

That's really where I'm sticking at. A lot of people are 'peacocked' to some extent these days (bold t-shirt design, highlights, haircuts, tattoos etc). I'm trying to think of a way to stand out from THEM, whilst still remaining congruent with my identity.

Anyone know any cool online sites for ANYTHING good for peacocking subtely?

PS. Adidas - you got me wrong there. Adidas is cool, when its the retro chic jackets/tops that I wear. Think Beastie Boys, Chili Peppers and numerous other cool artists. It's got me a fair few compliments in the past, depends on the crowd of people. I'm not going head-to-toe in tracksuits like a chav!

PPS. Bad luck with your back, man. Get well soon.

waxlrose
05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
I love this site, it's worth a look.

http://siteFwd.com/JEA

Really hip, classy clothes. I'd buy the whole store if I could ; )

10Pin
05-28-2007, 12:45 AM
some very cool stuff in there. Thanks for the link, waxl.

Cheers.

Flask
05-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Well, not all of us are willing to spend almost 70 dollars on a t shirt.

I would recommend http://www.80spurple.com for your everyday needs.

Also, http://www.asseenonscreen.com is nice, though a bit pricy for my tastes.

You should never, though, underestimate the power of the thrift shop. It may seem off-putting at first (XL day-glo tweety bird shirts, anyone?) but if you look hard enough you can find some real gems. My favorite coat (vintage cord jacket from the 70s) came from a local shop, and I found some really nice button-ups with eye-catching patterns at another.

adamstealth
07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
When i'm out infield, i've found something that is fucking awesome when it comes to subtle but cool peacocking. Reflective tape on my fingernails. It takes a while to do, but it does look mental in a photo or under a strobe light.

I spent the entire night doing a massive photo routine. I worse a massive pink and purple 2ft wide hat which looked totally stupid on me, so i put it on other people and took photos, collected the email address without even trying.

I've got a slingshot pencil which i wear in my top pocket of my shirt and paper in the other. Pulling out a PDA to put a number/email into isn't cool.

So collect the email, move on. Within an hour I had social proofed the joint so much, people were taking the hat off me, putting it on themselves and getting a photo taken and then giving me their emails. I got 19 emails in 1 night. Sure - i did almost no DHV stories, no anything, but i've got some emails to play with.

Problem with this is that you get opened TOO MUCH, you get disturbed by other women while your trying to run game and really, you end up being "the guy with the cool hat who will email you the photo"

I'm not sure I want to be that guy, but it's great to be the most popular guy in the room.

How do you still wear out crazy things like daft coloured massive hats but move the conversation into routines and game and switch the attention from the hat to the set?

Help would be great, cheers lads!

PS: Brighton guys, PM me, i'm in the search for a wing that knows game.

-Silver-
07-15-2007, 11:54 PM
'Whoah! Go get your own hat!' smiling as you say it. 'Guys check this out! / You won't believe what happened to me yesterday! / What the hell is parfait!? No one knows!'

Keeping a strong frame does it all for you. I know the troubles that big hats can bring. So far I have yet to go to a party where mine hasn't been stolen by at least one girl, and begged to be worn by at least one guy. Keeping the frame, and knocking off any attempts to take that hat, will ensure you stay in control of the conversation and can DHV all you want. This also means that giving it to a girl to wear is a pretty sweet reward for her, and a decent lock-in prop for you!

-Silver-

Randel Flagg
07-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Get yourself a cowboy hat. Not one with alot of goofy feathers or jewlery on it. I have several a balck one and two brown ones. The black one is mad of straw. Its called a raffa hat. I wear it when I go out. Its is truly amazing how many women dig it. I walked into a bar this afternoon and had two chicks ask me if I was a cowwboy. They opened me. Plus I was wearing it way before I ever saw one on Mystery. I bought it at a rodeo several years ago.

Get youself a cool belt and a big shiny buckle. You'd be surprised how many chicks notice a good belt and want to see what you buckle says. I have also been opened wearing it.

Rewok
07-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Am I missing something or are there no pics?

-Rewok

TripleSeven
07-16-2007, 04:18 PM
To fit your more urban sense of style, I would have to say I would reccomend:

www.karmaloop.com

adamstealth
07-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice. Thanks guys. I'm off to Spain tomorrow so i'll be seeing how sarging there goes considering I don't speak a single word of Spanish. I'm going to get a new set of clothes there too.

I'll post some FR's when I get back. Maybe some video if i'm really good.

Cheers guys

10Pin
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Where you off to? My friend just got back from Santander, said that it was full of beautiful women but the guys were complete mummy's boys.

Apparently its different in the bigger cities, but some of these smaller places are a little more closed-off from the more brash parts of Western culture.

Intrigue
07-24-2007, 05:19 AM
So I actually had a friend style me. She's about 10 years my elder but looks fucking awesome and dresses that way too.

She came and literally went through my closet and told me some important tips for me personally. I would recommend someone doing the same.

Anyway, firstly she told me my face didn't have enough character to wear the long hair I was trying to go for. She also never dug the blue nails...although other chicks did. I stopped painting the nails after I realized I wasn't on tour anymore.

Her advice to me was a lot to do with my body shape and type. I'm 6' 0" and fairly skinny. I don't have an ass(which she also pointed out) and need to not wear such huge pants. So I got tighter hip huggers, she said that jeans need to be tight around the hips to really make your figure look better. Secondly she wanted me to get shirts that didn't fit too tight but fit well. If anything for my body type I could use some bulk up top.(I don't do any weightlifting, if I did this would probably be different)

I also recommend getting a great hair person and getting your hair cut often enough so that you always look your best. When I go out now I always look at least a few points better than I ever did before. If I need to work on one thing it would be peacocking just a tad. I'm not Mystery so no oversize hats are necessary, but perhaps a necklace or pendant would help.

All in all this advice is not aimed at peacocking but rather just looking your best as often as possible.

Lastly, dress up when you go out. Even if it's just to a party among friends, you will stand out in a positive manner if you're slightly better dressed than everyone else there.

Lastly, feel great about looking your best, you deserve to!

cheeky
07-24-2007, 06:27 AM
http://www.thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos.html

I usually check out this website to get new fashion ideas. Basically this guy goes to a lot of cool parties and takes tons of photos.

Three random thumbs with clothes / color combos that kinda interest me...

http://www.thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/nicehousenicetime/thumbnails/IMG_0694.jpg http://www.thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/garbagepickup/thumbnails/IMG_9264.jpg http://www.thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/spoonman/thumbnails/IMG_9629.jpg

Lots of well dressed people on there (Yes, that is Kanye West). Check it out.

Cedar
07-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Generic fashion advice.

Find a girl to take you shopping. Drop $1-2K on brand name to have 3-5 nice outfits. Learn why they work and start mixing in lesser known names and thrift store pics until you have something unique.

Or.... go to abercrombie & fitch and be mocked by this douche bag. http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/

overstocked
07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Here are some good articles on Peacocking with pictures

Part one (http://www.theartofpeacocking.com/minicourse/part1)

Part two (http://www.theartofpeacocking.com/minicourse/part2)

If you have a spare $20 bucks the ebook by the same author The Art of Peacocking was actually surprisingly informative.

In the latest GQ Magazine there was a good article on how to dress for the summer with an emphasis on tips etc.

Also just keep your eyes open. When you see somebody with a good look ask yourself what they're doing and how you could incorporate it.

Keep asking questions and trying things!

:)