PDA

View Full Version : Male model workouts...

checkers
10-01-2008, 02:57 AM
I know a few of you guys are personal trainers or know a LOT more about working out than I do. So, for a role I'm going to be auditioning for I need to have a "model physique." Right now, I have a more athletic build and I need to loose muscle mass in my quadriceps and glutes. Other areas for development for me for the role are pectorals, abdomen and obliques. My arms will be fine for the role but body wise I need to be in peak shape.

I have 2 months to get into shape for the part and I need to start this coming monday. Anyone that can help is extremely helpful.

=-)

gaash2
10-01-2008, 12:40 PM
You need to lose fat or gain muscle? Don't say both, because most likely then, you are fucked.. But if you need to say both, put on the muscle the first month, then diet hard the second... Putting on muscle is the same shit, eat a lot of protein (since you dont want to put on fat, dont overdo eating), sleep a lot, and lift heavy weights. To lose weight. Even easier, eat very little. Try 1500 calories a day since you don't have much time.

I know a few of you guys are personal trainers or know a LOT more about working out than I do. So, for a role I'm going to be auditioning for I need to have a "model physique." Right now, I have a more athletic build and I need to loose muscle mass in my quadriceps and glutes. Other areas for development for me for the role are pectorals, abdomen and obliques. My arms will be fine for the role but body wise I need to be in peak shape.

I have 2 months to get into shape for the part and I need to start this coming monday. Anyone that can help is extremely helpful.

=-)

checkers
10-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh no I'm good muscle mass wise (except in abs) but the areas I've mentioned are areas that need the most toning. The "lines" on the abs, the definition on arms, ect.

So you're saying to just do regualr workouts and not eat as much?

gaash2
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes. "Toning" is another word for losing fat. "Toning" workouts are nothing but inefficient muscle building workouts. Lift heavy, and cut down your calories.

Oh no I'm good muscle mass wise (except in abs) but the areas I've mentioned are areas that need the most toning. The "lines" on the abs, the definition on arms, ect.

So you're saying to just do regualr workouts and not eat as much?

Tragically Famous
10-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Checkers,

The most efficient way to lose the bulk from your quads, hamstrings, and glutes is lots of jogging. Bodybuilders usually frown upon the "uneven" training, but in your case, you're doing it for a job.

To build on your upper body, try keeping your reps (number of times doing the specific exercise) lower, with more weight. Not significantly more weight, just add a 5lb to each side as needed.

As others have said, do not increase the amount you are eating. However, ensure your body is getting the proper foods it needs. Your muscles can't tone or grow without protein, and you won't have energy without carbohydrates. Don't skimp, just be smart.

I'm assuming you'll have access to a gym at the very least.

Here's some things to consider.

1. Don't stick to barbell lifts. Instead use dumbbells, as they help increase overall stability and control muscles, giving you a much fuller look. Of course you won't be impressing anyone with the weight, but it's not about that is it?

2. Abs are just like any other muscle, except better! Remember, to get the definition and lines you are looking for you have to weight train your abs as well. You can do sit ups and crunches all day, but all that will do is increase your endurance.

3. Cardio is always AFTER weight training. Period. It may seem minimal that all the contractions your muscles will make during cardio, however you will be expending the energy you need to get a "pump" from your exercises. Cardio after your weight training ensures that you get your workout first, then you work on thinning out those little bird legs you're going for.

Chest Exercises to consider:

Incline Dumbbell Press
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press
Pectoral Machine - Don't just throw weight on there and try to impress everyone around you. Make sure it's enough weight you can feel in your chest, but not so much that your back and shoulders are helping. High Reps and flex as you work this machine. It will help sculpt your pectorals.
Cable Crossovers - Use more than one angle. Raise and lower the cables to ensure you work all areas of your chest.

Abs -
You need to work both aspects of your abs equally. Endurance and Strength. Too much Strength means too much size and not quality figure. Too much endurance means flat definition.

Strength:

Ab Machine - shoot for half your body weight. The machine should not jerk and you should not be using momentum. Build up to half your body weight as the ideal standard.

Weighted Decline Bench Sit ups - Start off with a 10lb weight if you're just beginning to train weight on abs. Hold your arms over your heads so that your elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle and the weight stays over or behind the top of your head. Contract your stomach and make your abs pull you up. Do not rock your body for momentum. Slow and steady. 10 reps is what you're shooting for. If you can easily do more, it's time to up the weight.. 25.. 35.. etc..

Cables -
4 corners -
Put the cable in the high position with a one-hand handle or rope. Anything you can grip easily with one hand without straining your wrist.

The weight should be something your one arm can pull down without straining your elbow or shoulder. If it is too much, lessen it.

Facing perpendicularly to the cable, stand shoulder width apart. Opposite hand on your waist, and other grasping the handle. Pull the weight down even with shoulder level and lock your arm into a V-shape. Then using only your obliques, crunch towards the machine and pause each time for ten reps.

Turn 45 degree angle towards the machine, and using only your obliques crunch towards the machine and pause for ten reps.

Switch arms. And repeat with other side.

Do not use your body weight to pull the weight down, and do not use your arm strength. If your elbow strains, there is too much weight.

Endurance:

Crunches, Leg lifts, Russian Twists, Decline sit ups, Hanging Knee Raises, Hanging leg lifts. The list goes on and on, and is easy to make up.

Hope these tips help out.
TF

Awsome
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
All that Tragically Famous said is gold, but remember to do a quick *warmup set* if you are going for heavier weights and bulk up.
(Just the same exercise with light weights. NOT cardio running like many people do before working out)

For the legs:
Do a 10 minute fast pased cardio warmup.
Then go do fast pased leg/ass exercises weighted to about 70% of max.
Then back to do 10 minute fast pased cardio for legs.
No breaks inbetween!

Examples of cardio for legs: step/stairmaster, bicycle, running on incline.

Do this several times a week, if done "correctly", this will overtrain your leg/ass muscles in a cardio,weight,cardio to reduce fat and muscle mass. Do this after your other workouts.

jill_alcher
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Models exercise a lot to help firm up their body and have that sexy look.

checkers
10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Famous great response. That's the kinda info I'm looking for.

I don't do bench press, I only use hand weights for the reason you mentioned.

Today I start my new cycle so I'll see how it goes. Thanks man!

Saturn5
10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
If I'm hearing you right, you already have a good amount of muscle mass, but you want to lose some of that mass, in addition to losing some bodyfat, and you want to increase the toning of your midsection, correct?

If so, increase your cardio (cycling, jogging, etc), reduce your caloric intake, but also continue some toned-down weight training (less intensity, less volume, less frequent...but still enough to maintain tone).

For the midsection, remember for the most part, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. Reducing bodyfat through diet and fat burning exercise will go a long way here. Keep in mind that the best fat burning exercise is low intensity, long duration (walking/hiking/easy cycling is great). Higher intensity does not metabolize fat as efficiently as low intensity.

You may also want to increase the bulk of your abs, obliques, intercostals, serratus, etc. Do hard ab workouts with lower reps and some resistance (use a dumbell or plate on your chest while doing stability ball crunches, for example). The more developed (massive) your abs are, the more they'll show through whatever bodyfat you do have down there.

HTH!

checkers
10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Good point saturn. I've taken up to doing crunches every night (100-200 depending on my mood) of varying types to work out different parts of my abs. So far, it's working relatively well. the "side walls" of the abs are looking good and there's definition (not like you see in shows like Janice Dickensons Modelling Agency, but a start!) everywhere. For cardio, would you recommend doing cycling or stick towards jogging/running/walking.

Tragically Famous
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Bro, just do what you enjoy doing for cardio. Remember that some of the cycling machines have a higher resistance setting, giving you more of an anaerobic anabolic workload than cardio. Just do what will keep you motivated. Cardio is cardio. As long as you're doing it - you can't mess it up.

Keep at it, and the results will be there.

theperfectguy
10-27-2008, 11:47 PM
hey..i'm 6" 72 kgs...gotta tone my trunk and wanna strengthen my jawline...
already cut down on calories...what else do i do?

Gmand38
10-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Swimming is something Ive just started developing an interest in but it seems *great* for total body endurance and toning as well as calorie burning. The monotony is much more tolerable to me than running, and your core and upper body get a great endurance workout. If gaining mass is not on your to do list I bet it would help alot.

Combined with proper weight training I think it would push you toward a much much leaner, defined, ripped physique, although I suppose it would hinder mass gaining to a certain extent?